This series, we are examining chronic illness. Chronic illness affects so many of our family members and friends, but there is a way to help them or you. There is a way to reverse the course of many of our most troubling chronic diseases!
Today, we are talking about polycystic ovary syndrome. Now this is a chronic illness that affects women only, but don’t stop reading if you are a guy…it affects you too! You will soon find out why.
PCOS has symptoms that include
- Irregular menstrual cycles. PCOS causes irregular periods, fewer periods, or no periods at all.
- Hair growth, or hirsutism, which is a growth of dark, coarse hair. Women may experience hair growth in places like the face, chin, or chest.
- Hair thinning or hair loss. You might find that your hair loss mimics male pattern baldness.
- Pelvic pain.
- Infertility or problems getting pregnant.
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight. Some women with PCOS may also experience weight loss.
- Acne on the chest, chin, back, or other areas of the face. Also, skin darkening may occur, especially in creases like the armpits and groin.
- Depression or anxiety. About 50 percent of people with PCOS report mood changes.
PCOS is HIGHLY correlated with abnormal blood sugar and insulin responses within your body. This means that if you have PCOS, you also likely have problems with controlling your blood sugar and insulin response in your body. Some doctors even think that diabetes can cause PCOS.
When your insulin levels are high, it can stimulate ovaries to produce androgens (like testosterone) that can cause many of the symptoms that are seen in women. All of the hormonal imbalances in the body can cause other problems too.
Here is where the men need to listen…this hormonal imbalance can cause issues with becoming pregnant. This affects relationships and families for generations…
If this describes your life or you are worried that you are headed down this path, you can change your heading! Your diagnosis doesn’t have to define you! You can heal yourself and give yourself a chance at normal life!
Changing your life starts with the choices you make every day! First, you need to change the way you eat. Generally, the foods that we eat on the Standard American Diet (SAD-yes it is…) are highly processed and sweetened foods that cause significant trouble within your body! Avoiding eating items like this is going to be beneficial for you as you work to make changes in your life.
Instead of focusing on what not to eat, let’s think about what you can and should be eating. First of all, start with REAL food! This means you should work to only eat:
- Other foods and recipes that include the items listed above
This means that you should avoid these items as much as possible:
- Legumes (beans and peanuts)
- Added sugar and sugar substitutes
Avoiding these foods will normalize your hormone levels and help you to heal your body. What can be tricky is the clever wording, phrasing and packaging that food companies will use to be able to sneak these products into your food, continuing to keep you sick!
This can be a tough undertaking for you to do by yourself, but it CAN be done! But, if you need help, we are here to help you to succeed!
Reach out to schedule your FREE INTRODUCTION and let our experts in nutrition and exercise help you to take your life back! You don’t have to live with chronic illness and we want to help you to kick it to the curb!